Do your kids (and Husband) LOVE Star Wars? Z & Lovely are obsessed!
For Halloween Z asked to be Darth Vader, which meant Lovely also wanted to be Darth Vader, I though this was uber adorable, until Z decided there was NO WAY in God’s green earth he was going to be the SAME costume as his little sister! Which meant we were back at the drawing board… Until I decided to mix it up a little. After convincing Z it was OK to have the SAME costume as his sister, I convinced Lovely we could doll up her costume with w little glitter, pink and tutus… Who does not LOVE a Pink, Glittered Darth Vader?!?!
After the kids were assigned Darth Vader and Hot Pink Darth Vader, Hubby and I quickly decided a Hans Solo and Princess Leia costume were in stored for us.
DIY Instructions for Darth Vader Costumes for Boys AND Girls…
Z was not on board with being the SAME costume as his sister, not at all, but we assured him they would be totally different and I think we did a pretty good job of ensuring Lovely was a Girly Darth Vader, while Z was the same Darth Vader we all love to hate.
Lily & Frog Materials:
- 2 Blank Black Hooded Sweatshirt
- Black Pants for Boy
- Grey Pants of Girl
- Light Sabers
- Red, Green, Blue & Grey Iron-on Vinyl for Boy
- Shimmering Pink, green, blue, and silver Iron-on Vinyl for Girl
- 6 yards each Pink & Black Tulle for Girl
- Roll of Pink & Silver Satin Ribbon for Girl
Lily & Frog Instructions:
Hubby & I agreed, we did not want the kids wearing a mask. At this age we didn’t the kids to get caught-up in the shuffle of kids in costumes with masks and then we could not find them or each other.
1. Sweatshirt: I ordered 2 blank black hooded sweatshirts, one for each child. Using my Cricut Cutting System, I designed the chest of the Darth Vader costume. This was one of my first BIG projects on the Cricut; I thought it was going to be a synch, but it turned out to be a little more work then I planned on. A little extra work and determination and the design came out great.
Z and Lovely’s costumes matched, but her’s was slightly different. For Z’a costume I used dark grey, red, blue, and dark green Iron-on vinyl and for L’s costume I used Shimmering Pink, green, blue, and silver Iron-on Vinyl. She LOVED the shimmering and glitter.
2. Black Cape: The black cape was one I already made from our toy chest, I also designed a second one for Lovely, trimming the edges with the pink and grey satin ribbon. I followed the same instructions I use for all my Super Hero Capes.
3. Tutu for Lovely: Her tutu was ALL her decision. She wants a tutu with just about EVERY costume I design for her. Using black and hot pink tulle and grey and pink satin ribbon, I followed the same I followed the same instructions I use for all my Tutus.
4. Final Items: Pants… Z wore an old pair of black pants, while Lovely wore dark grey leggings. Both carried light sabers. We know one color is Light Side and other is Dark Side, but we were working on sharing at the time and traded them back and forth, pretending they were BOTH the Dark Side.
I L-O-V-E this costume… We make one adorable Star Wars Family!